Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Gone for Good

The sonogram today confirmed Baby B is gone for good. While there was no notable deterioration in the gestational sac at this point, there was no growth to speak of and still no heartbeat. Based on blood levels and scan results, it's probable that the baby died sometime between Thursday and Monday.

My perinatologist brought two colleagues into the room during today's scan, and their consensus was not to recommend surgery at this point, but rather to continue the watchful wait. There is still a risk of ovarian rupture, but the growth level of the gestational sac between Monday and today was minimal. As a result, a rupture is not necessarily anticipated.

Despite having another baby we won't meet until Heaven, we're so grateful for today's news. If a heartbeat would have been present in Baby B today, my OB would have pushed for surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy, and general anesthesia in the first trimester could be damaging -- even fatal -- to Baby A in my uterus. Also, by waiting and allowing the baby to be slowly reabsorbed, its corpus luteum will continue benefit the overall pregnancy. The doctors plan to rotate weekly scans until Baby B is completely gone.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow- I'm sure this brings mixed feelings. As I was praying for you the past few days I just kept praying that you and James would not be forced into making any decisions regarding surgery.
Rest and take care of yourself! You are loved and prayed for!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm sorry about the news but also thankful there won't be surgery and that the other baby is thriving. Get lots of rest!

Emily said...

I am so sorry that one of the twins will not be in your arms until Heaven. I am thankful that the other baby is healthy and thriving. I hope that you are able to have a peaceful and enjoyable Christmas tomorrow.

Amy said...

I'm sorry.
I love you.