Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Disadvantage of Knowing Too Much

My results from yesterday have just come in: my HCg level is 8510, and my progesterone level is 22.0.

The progesterone, while it has dropped, is still at the top of a safe range, so I'm not extraordinarily concerned about the level at this point. I do feel concerned that it seems to have a downward trend, instead of having a slight upward climb as it should. I still am on a very low dose of a progesterone supplement, so we have a chance to bring it up if necessary, but I have 2-4 weeks before a placenta would be present and capable of taking over, replacing what I take. Thursday's draw should be telling.

As for the HCg levels, I was concerned about the fact that they took 81 hours to double instead of the 48-72 hours I considered normal, but James found this information on several websites:

Look most closely at progression: during the huge majority of early pregnancies (80-90%), the level will double every couple of days, or 72 hours. As your pregnancy progresses, levels rise and that doubling time increases. The expected doubling time for HCG levels:

• Under 1200 mIU/ml: 48-72 hours.

• Between 1200 to 6000 mIU/ml: 72-96 hours.

• Over 6000 mIU/ml: more than 96 hours

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It's true ... you have WAY too much knowledge for someone that hasn't gone to medical school. :) I'm going to pray every day that God would give you a sound mind to relax and enjoy this pregnancy without analyzing too much.